Sunday, March 05, 2023

Our Personal Experience: God’s Classroom


(Second Sunday of Lent (A): This homily was given on March 5, 2023 at St. Pius X Church, Westerly, R.I., by Fr. Raymond Suriani.  Read Genesis 12:1-4; Psalm 33:4-22; 2 Timothy 1:8-10; Matthew 17:1-9.)

[For the audio version of this homily, click here: Second Sunday of Lent 2023]


A couple of years after I arrived at St. Pius, a young man came to see me whose heart was filled with fear and anxiety.  And understandably so.  He thought that he might have contracted an incurable disease in and through his own sinful behavior.  We spoke for a half-hour or so that day, and one of the things I told him was that this difficult situation provided him with a great opportunity: an opportunity to return to God, and to get his life back in order.  I also told him to pray very hard that the test results would come back negative from the doctor’s office—something he was no doubt already doing.  I promised him, of course, that I would do the same.

As I recall, I did see him at Mass the following Sunday, but I haven’t seen him here since—which means I haven’t seen him here in this building in 30 years!

Several months after our conversation I did happen to run into him in town.  I said to him, “How are you doing?”  He said, “Fine.”  I said, “That’s good.”  Now to be perfectly honest with you, because there were other people around at the time, I did not say to him what I really wanted to say to him.  When he indicated that he was doing fine I wanted to say, “Well, that’s what I figured.  God delivers you from a disease that would have plagued you for the rest of your life, and within two weeks you forget all about him.”

God, my brothers and sisters, is always trying to teach us things.  He’s always trying to teach us things that will make us better, stronger, healthier, holier people.  And one of the “classrooms” out of which the Lord teaches us most often is the classroom of our personal experience.  In other words, in and through the events and circumstances of our lives (both the good and the bad), God tries to teach us some important, valuable, foundational lessons.  The problem is that very often we either don’t recognize this when it’s happening, or in a given instance we simply make the choice to ignore the lesson completely!

Which usually opens us up to a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering.  Take, for example, the young man I just mentioned.  In the midst of his fear and his anxiety the Lord was saying to him, “My son, you need me.  You need to learn to put me at the center of your life.  You need to stop living by your own rules, and start living your life by mine.  You are now experiencing the consequences of trying to do things your way.  You’re suffering because of your sin. I give you my commandments because I love you and want you to have peace and order in your life.  So please listen to me and take this lesson to heart. Go to Mass faithfully, go to confession regularly, and start to practice your Catholic faith again.”

I pray that at some point in the last 30 years this young man (who is not so young anymore if he’s still here on earth with us!) has somehow finally learned that basic but very important spiritual lesson.

And then we have the example given to us in today’s gospel reading.  In this famous scene from Scripture, Jesus takes Peter, James and John to the top of Mt. Tabor, and gives them a little glimpse of his divinity.  He gives them a chance to see him in his glorified, heavenly state.

And why did the Lord do this?  Was it because he and his three apostles had nothing better to do that afternoon?  Did Jesus say to himself, “These guys look awfully bored.  I think I’ll take them up this mountain and give them a little light show!  That’ll wake them up!  That’ll get their attention!”

No!  He did it to teach them something.  Jesus knew that the time of his passion and death was fast approaching, and he wanted these apostles—who were the leaders of the apostolic group—to be as ready as they possibly could be to face the horrors of those days: Holy Thursday and Good Friday.  So he gave them this little glimpse of his glory on Mt. Tabor to strengthen them; to increase their trust; to teach them that he would still be in control even when everything seemed to be out of control.

Well, unfortunately, as we all know from reading the Bible, Peter, James and John did not learn the lesson very well.  When the heat got turned up in the Garden of Gethsemane at the arrest of our Lord, all three abandoned him.  They ran away as fast as they could.  Later that same night Peter denied three times that he even knew Jesus!  Afterward, when he realized what he had done, he experienced incredible remorse.  The Bible tells us that he went out and wept bitterly.  For Peter, that was unnecessary suffering.  I’m convinced that if he and his fellow apostles had taken more time to think and pray about the experience they had that day on Mt. Tabor, they would have handled themselves a lot differently during that first Holy Week.

From all that I’ve said today, I think it should be clear: Discovering what the Lord is trying to teach us in and through the experiences of our daily lives is extremely important.  So I will close my homily this morning by giving you a homework assignment.  The next time you sit down to pray, don’t just say prayers.  Do more than that.  Bring your entire life into your prayer!  That is to say, think of all the circumstances—the good and the bad—that you’re dealing with at the present time.  Then say, “Lord Jesus, help me to see what you are trying to teach me in the midst of all this.  Help me to recognize the lessons you want me to learn from these experiences.”

If you do this faithfully and often enough, I’m confident that the Lord will give you the insights that you’re seeking, the insights that you need.

Then, of course, take the final step.  This is the most difficult one, but it’s also the most rewarding one. It’s the one that will make the real difference in the quality of your life:

TAKE THE MESSAGE OF EACH LESSON TO HEART, AND THEN PUT THOSE MESSAGES INTO PRACTICE!